Monday 29 October 2012

Sour porridge

For those who have not yet been able to make lump-free porridge, don't worry, there's hope for everyone. I bet my porridge was the worst in the history of mankind, no matter how many times I watched mum do it, it either looked like water straight from the tap or something close to ugali. This is not the traditional (original) porridge we saw our grandmothers put away for days in containers to ferment, this is cooked in ten minutes.
Buy your 'Sour Porridge Flour' from the supermarket. This is my favourite.


You start by making a paste with the flour and water. This is where the confusion comes in sometimes. I actually never measure anything when cooking (Just like my mama did) but I did in this to put it down better for you. I took one and a half heaped tablespoons of the flour into a cup with half full water and mixed it to a smooth paste. The paste plus the water that will be used to cook is what determines the thickness of your porridge. Too thick a paste will give you thick porridge and vice versa if you use very thin paste.Look at the paste, not too thick, not too thin either. I put this paste into two cups of boiling water. Again, this is where you can make it or lose it. Before you put the paste into the boiling water, make sure you stir one last time, in case there's any flour sediments at the bottom of the cup. Immediately you put the paste into the boiling water, stir CONTINUOUSLY without pausing until the mixture starts boiling. If you do this, no lumps will be formed. Too much boiling water results in thin porridge, little water results in thick porridge. Once it starts boiling, simmer for ten minutes and voila, your porridge is ready to eat! (Yes I said eat. Porridge is eaten, not drank) 



No comments:

Post a Comment