Thursday 10 October 2013

Tumbukiza

Yes, that's the name of this dish and no, I'm not the one who named it; I don't even know it's origin. To be precise, for all those numerous times that I cooked this, I didn't even know it had a name until someone mentioned it.
The advantage of this dish is that so  little effort and attention is required. I actually do get time to take a shower as it cooks mind you, I am those people who spend ages in the shower. In short, you can do your chores as this cooks without having to keep running to and fro the kitchen after every two minutes.
What is needed here is beef, potatoes, and veggies of your choice. In this, I put onions, beef, potatoes cut in half, carrots cut in half, green capsicum (green pepper/hoho) cut in fours, cabbages cut in fours (sometimes I alternate with whole spinach) and water or beef stock.
I will start with how I have seen other people cook this dish.  Most of them put everything in the cooking pan and cook on low heat until everything is cooked. I don't know about you but I tend to think that with this method, the potatoes might end up looking like mashed potatoes or the beef might not cook very well, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, let's now go to my way. I start by putting the beef pieces in the cooking pan. Note that I have left out cooking oil; I don't add oil to this. Stir the beef pieces to prevent them from sticking in the pan and cover. Let them cook on low heat. I prefer starting with the beef so that it cooks evenly. Let it cook for like 10-15 minutes. You can add VERY LITTLE water to prevent it from burning as it cooks. Add the potatoes and cover. Don't stir. Again let them cook until they are just almost cooked. You can add some little water if the water from the beef has dried up. The level of the water can be half the level of what is cooking. I love my veggies crunchy, so when my potatoes are almost cooked is when I add some water for soup and the remaining ingredients and let them boil for 5-7 minutes on low heat.Serve!
This can be accompanied with ugali, chapati or good old loaf (my favorite).


4 comments: