Tuesday 15 October 2013

Home made Ice Cream

Who doesn't love ice cream?! I would swim in it!! I would make it my second name!!
Home made ice cream is so cheap to make, you won't believe it. I already had the other ingredients so I only bought the eggs and the milk. That cost me Kshs. 69 only!I made enough to last me a couple of days.
Anyways, there are soooo many recipes for making ice cream. I used the easiest and fastest.
I rarely measure my ingredients; for no good reason really, I just find myself doing estimations. But I'm slowly learning to. But I did measure this.

What I used here is: All purpose home baking flour- 2 tbsp
                                 Sugar-1 cup (which I found too much for my sensitive tasting buds)
                                 Milk- 1/2 Litre
                                 Strawberry Essence - 1 tsp
                                 2 small Eggs

Start by heating the milk or boiling if it's not the pasteurized milk. The reason for this is so that you can use it to beat the eggs separately. The eggs are beaten in warm milk to avoid them from cooking when added to the other ingredients in the pan. We are not doing scrambled eggs here now are we?!

After you are done with the eggs, put the mixture aside and now work on the rest of the ingredients.
On low heat, in a thick based pan, mix the sugar and flour then add some milk slowly stirring to get a smooth paste. Add the egg/milk mixture and keep stirring THROUGHOUT your cooking to avoid formation of lumps. Yes I know, I was bored to my neck too.
I cooked mine for around 30 minutes on very low heat occasionally adding some milk when the mixture started to thicken. The reason I cooked it for that long was to ensure the flour cooked. Believe me, the last thing you want is uncooked flour taste in your mouth. Happened to me with the same recipe; I was too impatient to let it cook.

When almost done, add the strawberry essence, pour in a bowl, let it cool, cover your air tight bowl and put it in the freezer. Make sure to move away from the refrigerator and let it freeze in peace.Voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment